Lucas Theatre for the Arts
32 Abercorn St.
The century-old Lucas Theatre for the Arts originally opened as a grand movie palace in 1921, operating continuously until its closure in 1976. After a nonprofit group was established to preserve the theater, the 1,237-seat space was fully restored in 2000. In 2023, the theater’s original Wurlitzer organ — first installed in 1925 — was restored and reinstalled at the Lucas. Now operated by SCAD, the theater hosts a regular calendar of film screenings and live performances as well as events for the SCAD Savannah Film Festival, the Savannah Philharmonic, and the Savannah Music Festival.